If you’re passionate about the arts and history, want activities and fun events like film and comedy nights, or would just like somewhere quiet to relax and think, you’ll find it all at The Lightbox, which is much more than just an art gallery and museum.
2017 is the 10th Anniversary year of The Lightbox and highlights this year include exhibitions by Henry Moore, JMW Turner and contemporary local sculptor Sean Henry. To view our current programme please go to our website.
The Lightbox is also home to Woking’s Story, a free interactive museum about the town’s history. If you’re visiting with children, you’ll find plenty to keep them occupied and entertained, and under 18s have free entry to all exhibitions. For adults general entry to The Lightbox is free, to enter Main or Upper Gallery exhibitions requires the purchase of a Day or Annual Pass.
Complete your visit with a delicious lunch or coffee at the canal-side Seasons Cafe and Kitchen or buy something special from our Shop. The Lightbox is also available to hire for both corporate and private events and it is a magnificent setting in which to host a special event.
2008 winner of the Art Fund Prize Museum of the Year
2014 Short-listed for Family Friendly Museum of the Year Award
2014 Beautiful South Access For All Award - Silver
2015 Highly Commended Customer Service - Museum and Heritage Awards
2015 Surrey Life Food and Drink Awards finalist – Tea / Coffee shop of the Year
2016 Visit England Green Tourism Award - Silver
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Free Entry (Donations Welcome)||Free|
£3 Day Pass or £5 Annual Pass for Main and Upper Gallery exhibitions until 31 March 2017.
£4.50 Day Pass or £7.50 Annual Pass for Main and Upper Gallery exhibitions from 1 April 2017.
£2.50 Annual Pass with a National Art Pass until 31 March 2017.
£3.75 Annual Pass with a National Art Pass from 1 April 2017.
Under 18s Free
Registered carers receive a free day pass when accompanying those they care for.
General admission to The Lightbox is free which includes Seasons Café and Kitchen, Shop, Art Fund Prize Gallery and Woking’s Story museum.
Map & Directions
Postcode for satelite navigation: GU21 4AA
Let Travel Smart Surrey help you plan your journey.
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Tuesday - Saturday||10:30||- 17:00*|
* From 1 April 2017: Thursday Lightbox Lates - open until 21.30*Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good76
- Michael BTrip Type:CouplesA Gem In The Heart Of WokingTuesday, 14th February 2017Woking is not culturally sublime but the Lightbox is. A signature building, which houses Galleries, Displays and Events, is an oasis right in the centre of town. The staff are very friendly and... Read full review
- EileenT63Guildford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyChanging exhibitions, always interesting.Thursday, 2nd February 2017I only discovered this place in the last couple of years, but have since been back several times, with my teenage daughter, once with a friend's primary-aged children, and a couple of times to meet... Read full review
- David BTrip Type:Friends getawayLightbox - unexpected pleasure!Wednesday, 1st February 2017I'd been driving through Woking for years past this place without realising what it was. With a couple of hours to spend in Woking centre, we decided to see what the Lightbox was. And what an... Read full review
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Accessible Lift
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors
- Facility for service dogs
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted)
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Wheelchair user accessible
Children & Infants
- Babes in Arms
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge)
- Railway station within 5 miles
- Railway station within walking distance
- Secure cycle parking - The Lightbox have cycle stands on-site where visitors are welcome to lock and leave their bikes – however The Lightbox cannot guarantee this is secure. Bikes will be left at the owner’s risk.
- Catering for groups
- Full liquor licence - The Lightbox have a liquor license to serve wine, beer and cider.
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Outdoor eating area
- Refreshments Available
- Vegetarians catered for
- Approx length of visit - 1-2 hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Groups Accepted
- Maestro Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
- All weather attraction
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Licensed for alcohol
- Meeting rooms
- Open on bank holidays
- Team / Corporate Activities
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals