The river Wey was one of the first rivers in England to be made navigable. It opened to boats in 1653 and covers approximately 15 miles, from Guildford to Weybridge where the Wey then joins the river Thames. The Godalming Navigation which is further up river towards Godalming opened in 1764.
Today Dapdune Wharf is a museum dedicated to telling the story of the Wharf and the Navigation. The award winning visitor centre tells the story of the river and the people who lived and worked on it. Visitors can see where the huge barges were built and climb on one of the original barges 'Reliance'. Through a series of interactive exhibits and displays, visitors can discover the fascinating story of Surrey's secret waterway.
Boat trips are available from Thursday to Monday during the open season and all week in August. Visitors can discover the navigation for themselves by a trip on one of three electric boats. The 40 minute trip takes visitors up and down the navigation, while the volunteer skipper provides information about the navigation, people, the industry on the river and the town. Being electric the boats they are very quiet which also allows you to discover the wildlife along the river. You can book tickets on the day of your visit.
Throughout the year there are a great number of activities and events particularly in school holidays.
The navigation is also ideal for canoeists and some boat users, for more information on going on the water contact Dapdune Wharf direct for more details.
Map & Directions
|2017 (15 Mar 2017 - 2 Nov 2017)|
* 4 June to 1 August = Thursday to Monday 11am to 5pm
1 to 31 August = 7 days a week 11am to 5pm
1 September to 23 October = Thursday to Monday 11am to 5pm
24 to 30 October = 7 days a week 11am to 4pm
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille guide, large print guide.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - Tea room serving sandwiches, ice cream, teas and coffees, capacity 50.
- Picnic Site
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- Max group size - 40
- Min group size - 15
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups