Summer in Surrey
Making plans for a summer holiday in the UK? Surrey is the perfect place to have fun with family and friends through the warmer months.
From magnificent countryside views and world class gardens to water sports, outdoor activities and country pubs, there's so much to see and do in our beautiful corner of south east England.
Whether you're visiting for the first time from afar or enjoying a wonderful summer "staycation" in Surrey, we hope you enjoy your adventures here.
Keep scrolling to discover some fantastic ways to enjoy the summer days in Surrey.
There's plenty to keep you entertained this summer in Surrey. From outdoor theatre and food fairs to music festivals, we have you covered with the best list of events taking place.
For the active
- What better way to spend a summer afternoon than in the woods swinging through the trees with views of the London Skyline. Experience zip lines and Tarzan swings in a safe environment at Skywalk Adventure in Esher, and enjoy an exhilarating day out.
- Surrey is a go-to cycling destination of choice, with its rolling Surrey Hills and stunning scenery. If you are looking for a family-friendly flat ride, cycle the Downs Link, a disused railway line from the North Downs Way to the South Downs Way in Sussex.
- Plan a visit to Campaign Paintball & Laser Park near Cobham with its wild west, jungle zone, zombies and war trench themes. A great afternoon of fun for the whole family.
For animal lovers
- Head to Bocketts Farm near Leatherhead for its famous pig race or the chance to feed and handle a huge variety of animals in this well-maintained family adventure farm.
- Hop on-board the popular tractor ride, explore the indoor and outdoor play areas or simply enjoy the wonderful farm animals at Godstone Farm.
- Merrist Wood near Guildford is another great opportunity to get up close to an amazing array of animals.
- Head to Lingfield to learn more about Britain's wildlife at the British Wildlife Centre, which is home to one of the finest collection of native species in the country.
For those garden lovers
- The Hon. Charles Hamilton created Painshill landscape garden in Cobham, which is one of the finest remaining examples of 18th century landscaping, with inspiration from his two Grand Tours across Europe.
- In 1878, George Fergusson Wilson bought a site in Surrey and created his "Oakwood experimental garden". Having grown over the years, it is now a 240 acre site and one of the UK's most visited and best loved gardens, RHS Garden Wisley.
- Surrey’s has some truly beautiful parks for you to enjoy over the summer. Parks are bursting with colour in the summer months and offer fantastic free days out to relax on a blanket and enjoy the sunshine.
- The Walled Garden at Loseley Park features wonderful themed areas full of unique planting schemes and character.
For those looking to cool down
- For outdoor swimming, you can't beat the Guildford Lido with its landscaped gardens - the kids will love the slides!
- Take a look at our summer water activities page for some more great places to cool down by the water in Surrey.
- Looking to cool off and learn new skills this summer? Aqua Sports Watersports Company at Mercer Lake near Merstham have a dedicated friendly team of instructors who just love being out on the water teaching dinghy sailing, paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing and windsurfing to adults and children.
- Enjoy a self-drive boating experience with GoBoat Kingston. You are the captain, you choose the route. Gain access to a stunning sections of the River Thames.
For art lovers
- The Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden at Ockley is a fabulous place to visit on a sunny day. It's trail runs through carefully curated gardens and around lakes, and there are hundreds of sculptures to inspire.
- The Sculpture Park at Churt is an enchanting place to visit in the summer - almost all the sculptures are available for sale in this 10 acres woodland site.
Places to eat and drink
Make the most of the summer months and make a plan to find an ideal spot for you to enjoy some food and drink in Surrey.
- Unwind and relax and eat alfresco! Surrey has plenty of scenic spots where you can enjoy a picnic with friends or family. Just remember, if you're strong enough to carry a full picnic hamper to a beauty spot, you're strong enough to carry home the empties and leave the place how you found it. Thank you!
- Experience a trek with Llamas through the Surrey Hills. You can't ride the llamas, but they will carry your picnic as you lead them through the stunning countryside.
- Enjoying a cold drink in a gorgeous outdoor pub beer garden, The Drummond at Albury is an attractive option on a summer's day. Many Surrey pubs welcome pooches with water bowls on offer for them too.
- Discover the Vineyards of the Surrey Hills - they offer tours, tastings and dining options throughout the summer.
- We're not short of gin distillery experiences either, with the famous Silent Pool Distillers near Guildford and Wessex Distillery near Godalming.
Where to stay this summer
We have plenty of options for you in Surrey.
- Want to stay somewhere with unique history, charm and the height of luxury? Take a look at our hotels page for some inspiration.
- For those looking for a magical woodland setting, why not stay in a stunning log cabin style holiday lodge at Tilford Woods.
- How about a spot of glamping at Milberry Green Meadows with its gorgeous Surrey Hills views.
Share your Surrey travel photos this summer by following Visit Surrey on Instagram and tag your post with #visitsurrey.
We look forward to welcoming you to Surrey this summer!